Defense Finance and Accounting Service Lead Accountant in Indianapolis, Indiana
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
Who may apply: Current Permanent DFAS Agency Employees Only
The position of Lead Accountant is located at DFAS Enterprise Standards and Solutions, Accounts Receivable. There is one vacancy which may be located at Indianapolis, Indiana; Cleveland, Ohio; or Columbus, Ohio.
The minimum salary is $86,406 and the maximum salary is $112,326 for the Indianapolis, Indiana location. The minimum salary is $88,375 and the maximum salary is $114,886 for the Columbus, Ohio location. The minimum salary is $89,285 and the maximum salary is $116,068 for the Cleveland, Ohio location.
The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement/appointment-eligibility.html
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
- Lead a team of professional accountants performing duties such as: training; monitoring work status; leading process improvement activities; mentoring; and communicating and integrating the organization's strategic plan, mission and values into the work unit.
- Designs, adapts, revises, and evaluates accounting reports, procedures, and operations and audit readiness encompassing multiple financial management/accounting systems and all DoD component activities. Serves as an expert in accounting procedures and policy compliance in the development and implementation of major operating policy and procedural changes.
- Analyzes operating procedures to identify areas of potential non-compliance; explains discrepancies; and provides authoritative policy interpretation to ensure modification of existing operations to comply with regulations. Reviews/analyzes new legislation and proposed policy changes to determine impact(s) on current operations.
- Reviews a variety of incoming, outgoing, and summary financial reports to ensure the accuracy, reliability, and integrity of financial operations and financial reports submitted operating from operating activities.
- Develops oral and written presentations for delivery to higher level officials or for delivery by high level officials on the most difficult accounting situations/problems and current or proposed developments within areas of responsibility and expertise. Identifies problem areas and determines actions required to improve operating program effectiveness and/or maintain the integrity of accounting records and financial information.
- Occasional Travel
- Seldom (1-24%)
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Permanent DFAS Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment in Federal Service
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
This position has a basic education requirement as follows:
- Bachelor's degree with 24 semester hours/36 quarter hours of accounting (up to 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours may be in Business Law). OR
- Combination of education and experience-at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. In addition, your background MUST include one of the following:
- 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; or
- A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination. You may need to send proof of education or of certification to be considered for this position. Click here for more information on who must submit documentation at the time of application and what documentation is acceptable: Transcripts and Certifications.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-12) in the Federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Specialized Experience is defined as: providing expert-level professional accounting, finance and reporting services, management advice, and assistance to supported customers in the application of accounting theories, concepts, principles and standards to independently negotiate solutions to the most complex issues related to operational accounting and finance work.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-12 or higher grade in the Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after initial competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a* non-critical sensitive*position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom (1-24%)..
- This position iscovered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474604300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $86,406 to $116,068 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 13
Series: 0510 Accounting
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: ML-10021506-17
Control number: 474604300