University of Utah Associate Accountant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 07/17/2017
Requisition Number PRN14821B
Job Title Associate Accountant
Working Title Associate Accountant
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm depending on departmental needs
VP Area President
Department 00350 - Payables Production
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.02 to 14.94
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
The position is set to last 6 months with benefits. Performs a variety of bookkeeping activities including, but not limited to, preparation of invoices and bills, payments of invoices, reconciliation of accounts and preparation of purchasing and payroll forms.
1. Processes invoices for payment, ensuring billed amount and quantity received corresponds to purchase order.
2. Prepares invoices and bills.
3. Reviews, deposits, and posts payments, scholarships and other transactions to accounting systems.
4. Prepares check requests, campus orders and purchase orders.
5. Ensures transactions are posted correctly to accounts and reviews transactions for accuracy and required back-up documentation.
6. Reviews and reconciles University procurement card statements.
7. Responds to a variety of accounting-related questions, such as inquiries from vendors on invoice status and from students on financial aid status.
8. Assists department staff with questions on payment or purchasing documents.
9. Assists with preparation of various accounting and financial reports.
10. Reviews work of and provides training to accounting clerks.
11. May prepare purchasing or payroll forms.
12. May maintain department inventory or prepare annual physical inventory.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Four years of bookkeeping or accounting experience, and an understanding of basic accounting principles, mathematical and spreadsheet skills; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.