Education Development Center, Inc. Senior Accountant II (International) in Waltham, Massachusetts
Senior Accountant II (International)(SAII101017)
HQ: Waltham, MA
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Accounting & Finance Department in the Administration & Finance division has an opening for a Senior Accountant II (International), reporting directly to the International Accounting Manager. This position provides accounting and finance support to EDC’s international operations.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The Senior Accountant II (International):
• Collects and review monthly accounting reports from international projects
• Prepares and process monthly accounting reports from international projects into EDC’s financial systems
• Ensures weekly cash requests from assigned projects are appropriate and wired to the field office in a timely manner
• Ensures timely receipt of monthly bank statements from field offices
• Prepares monthly field office bank accounts reconciliations and investigate reconciling items to ensure timely resolution.
• Prepares petty cash, advance, and tax accrual reconciliations and investigate reconciling items to ensure timely resolution
• Receives, reviews and files supporting documentation for monthly field office reports
• Maintains tracking spreadsheets of accounting information on a monthly basis
• Assists in month and year-end closings
• Assists in training field office finance/accounting staff on EDC regulations and accounting procedures whenever needed
• Assists the international finance/accounting staff with financial reports whenever needed
• Assists in the rollout of new accounting packages, such as QuickBooks, as needed in field office locations
• Provides guidance to field accountants to make sure that all expenses are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and 2 CFR 230 (Cost Principles for Non-Profit Organizations) - OMB Circular A-122
• Ensures that the Chief of Party and Project Director follows proper accounting procedures and EDC regulations
• Provides training and systems support to staff accountants whenever needed
• Assists in periodic update of the Int. Policies and Procedures Manual
• Maintains spreadsheets for monthly foreign exchange gains and losses
• Maintains spreadsheet for daily highest bank balance on a monthly basis
• Assists in the preparation of monthly management reports to CFO and Corporate Controller
• May travel internationally
• May perform other duties as assigned
The Senior Accountant II (International):
• Acts as a liaison between field offices and Accounting Department, providing training and systems support
• Coordinates Accounting and field offices to maximize cash flow
• Facilitates efficiency through teamwork and feedback exchanges
• Troubleshoots problems, ensuring coordination, and develops corrective strategies
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business with Accounting as a major
• 3–5 years substantial and progressive accounting experience, including work with international field offices
• Strong knowledge of USAID regulations preferred
• Strong analytical skills and aptitude for details and accuracy
• Knowledgeable in the use of MS Office 2010 or later version, particularly Excel and Word, and ideally Access or similar database
• Accuracy and attention to details are essential in the performance of responsibilities
• Willingness to follow recommended procedures and an ability to work independently
• Ability to multitask and to respond to changing business needs
• Strong written and oral communication skills are essential
• Fluent or near fluent in a second language (e.g., French, Spanish, Arabic etc.) preferred
• Position may require international travel
EDC, 43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please
As an EOE/AA employer, EDC does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.