Northwestern University Manager Accounting, Student Finance in Evanston, Illinois
The Manager Accounting, Student Financesupports a university accounting-related area or program. Manages the accounting unit of the Student Finance Office. This includes supervision of staff, reconciliations, customer contact, accounting analysis. Provides accounting expertise to manage and reconcile receivable, revenue and certain expense reporting for student tuition and fees and loan payments. Implements existing policy & ensures the effective, compliant, & efficient completion of daily financial activities. Follows established procedures for daily cash balancing, revenue accruals, and other accounting transactions. Applies industry and professional standards, interprets university policy and procedure, federal and state laws, granting agency guidelines, and other regulations (as applicable). Complies with federal guidelines regarding management of student receivables and payment of student loans. Communicates (verbally and in writing) with students, parents, co-makers concerning student loan repayment. Answers accounting questions and assists with payment application explanations.
Analysis, Statements & Reporting
- Creates daily, monthly, annual, &/or project end analysis & reports regarding area/unit, grants &/or awards, accounts, funds, payroll, expense &/or revenue allocation, customer service activity, etc.
- Monitors activity with loan servicer, payment vendors, third party payers, to verify that transactions are properly recorded.
- Records journal entries and creates reports.
- Creates month-end transactions to record interest and late fee revenue, and to manage tuition and fees revenue.
- Performs financial account reconciliations, statement analysis, and transaction research.
- Reconciles loans in NU Financials as compared to balances on servicer reports.
- Oversees reconciliations of all student receivables-related accounts.
- Provides support for annual audit workpapers and quarterly financial statement workpapers.
- Maintains, and updates financial models and analysis.
- Prepares federal Perkins loan assignment packet for the Department of Education.
- Provides review and oversight of all types of financial transactions some of which may be complex in regard to size or duration of account.
- Approves entries prepared by Loan Accounting staff. Prepares entries for accrual transactions.
- Enters individual &/or summary of transactions into journals &/or general ledger or other NU enterprise system.
- Processes/approves accounting adjustments for NU Financials and servicer system.
- Reviews; ensures approval based on alternatives regarding practice & policy; analyzes and classifies transactions in accordance with established chart or coding of accounts; creates new accounts; prepares, processes, reconciles & provides receipts (as appropriate) for transactions.
- Updates spreadsheets used by Loan Accounting staff to complete daily balancing.
- Prepares & delivers bank deposits
- As needed when short staffed.
- Accesses multiple banking systems to process transactions, retrieve information, &/or initiate wire transfers.
- Provides financial policy interpretation to determine the validity of customer requests & ensure compliance.
- Provides support for internal &/or granting agency audit requests.
- Reviews status of related university accounts, transactions and processes; troubleshoots issues as needed.
- Processes & presents data & information through the application of database, graphic & spreadsheet software.
- Uses excel spreadsheets extensively for payment history analysis, rebook analysis, reconciliation, etc.
- Obtains data by downloading from enterprise systems; develops and runs queries.
- Uses query tools available in servicer system and NU Financials.
- Identifies sources for data & information to be used & completes special financial projects
- Performs general office support activities
- With Associate Director, Operations, determine and write off bad debts in accordance with University policy.
- Administer, monitor and review student payment plan.
- Oversee and resolve problems of any suspense items resulting from interface batches.
- Manages operation of or interaction with a computer system or system processes that support the area or program.
- Reviews servicer reports for accuracy.
- Ensures that area service level goals are met.
- Manages 6 staff performing various accounting activities: balancing & reconciliation, daily deposit balancing, daily monetary transaction balancing, refund overpayments, paid in full processing.
- Provides work direction to others.
- Supervises other employees.
- Manages professional development of team members, including ensuring that they have growth opportunities and adequate training and support to manage their workload.
- Assists with hiring employees.
- Is responsible for hiring permanent and temporary employees in his/her unit and provides input for hiring staff in other units.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field; OR 2 years financial administration work experience; OR equivalent combination education and experience where similar knowledge, skills, and abilities may be acquired.
- 2 years of financial, budgeting &/or preparing account reconciliations or financial statements along with financial analysis experience.
- At least 3 year supervisory experience.
- At least 1 year experience in higher education administration.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use multiple software programs (Word, Excel, etc).
- Customer service experience.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to synthesize and prioritize information and work.
- Experience with student loan programs.
- Experience with loan servicer systems.
- Experience with student receivables.
- Financial audit experience.
- Knowledge of federal student loan regulations.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Ability to use available information to make educated decisions.
- Ability to delegate tasks effectively, set clear expectations/goals, hold people accountable.
- Preferred CPA.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33387
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Job Title: Manager Accounting, Student Finance